Thursday, September 04, 2008

Ministry Update

Well, my two years has almost come to an end here in South Korea. I have told many of you that I planned to stay here and with my church to open a coffee shop as a ministry to the foreigners in my community. I spoke with my pastor and the elders of my church this weekend and they have decided to postpone the coffee shop. My pastor will be returning to America in December and he does not feel four months is enough time to begin this ministry and he also doesn't want to a beginning ministry to the new pastor that will be replacing him.


I have to admit that when I first heard this I was very disappointed and began to think I would be coming back to America sooner than expected. My church elders however decided they would like me to stay and help with our ministry. I spoke with the Korean church pastor last night and he is in agreement as well. I am unsure of my exact ministry at this time but I will be staying her in Korea.


I will probably be a missionary intern for one year and if everything works out after that I will be a full time missionary of my church here. I think this classification is for visa purposes because I do not have a sending church in America. Unfortunately, I will have to still be a part-time English teacher. The nice thing about this is that I will be doing private lessons which my church will allow me to do. My current job does not allow this. Since I will be doing private lessons I can set the time schedule of the lessons allowing me to be free for ministry.

I was really struggling the first day and I wrestled with God into the night about the coffee shop but praise the Lord when I woke up the next day I was at peace. I know God has something special for me and I can't wait to see what it is. Please pray as we seek to work out the details of my new visa. I will need to leave Korea to get a new visa and I hope to visit China and receive my visa in Beijing. I will keep everyone posted as I hear anything new.

1 comment:

Lydia Joyce said...

If God wants you to stay, you will. Just remember that I am here for you whenever you need to talk. Doesn't matter what time, if you need me, just let me know and I will be there. I miss my big sister to hug, but am so thankful you are having such a good time. You deserve happiness my love.
Your little sis Lydia