Thursday, November 02, 2006

My time in Korea thus Far

I have been in Korea for almost a week now. So far I have had many good experiences and interactions with the people. I really love my classes. It is so nice to teach people who really want to learn. The adult students are very understanding of my pronunciation of their names, which I am thankful for. My kid’s class however laughs every time I say a students name incorrectly. It is very frustrating for me because I do not laugh at them when they say my name wrong or another English word incorrectly. I will get their names down soon enough.

On Sunday I will be going to Antioch Church for their English service. I am a little nervous about going by myself. None of other teachers here are Christians and I don't think they would go with me if I asked. It is probably a 25 minute walk from my apartment. But I am sure it is going to be worth it.

I think I walk at least five miles every day. It is very good for me but it is getting cold now. Last night we went out and it was freezing. Everyone thinks I should be fine because I am from Minnesota, but there we get in our car to drive somewhere, get out and run into a warm building. Here I will be walking out in the cold all winter and the building are not really heated like they are in the US. The classrooms are heated but the hallways and every other part of the buildings are not. It should be fun this winter.

On Sunday after church I am going with Kelly and some students to the traditional Korean Village. I will update you with pictures from my adventure.

4 comments:

Leah C said...

I can hear my mom's reminder (every time the weather is cold, she says the same thing) "don't forget that 90% of your body heat escapes through your head... so wear a hat!". Glad to hear everything is going well so far. I can't believe you are in S. Korea. Enjoy your time, and email me and let me know if you have any needs. I would love to help. Love you. Be careful.

ruth said...

Georgia, I'll be praying for you. I'm so excited for you, and I'm really enjoying your updates. The students' laughing reminds me of something that happened when I was teaching in China. I would joke with my students a lot, and I would usually say after my joke, "Oh, I'm just teasing" For some reason, this comment got more laughs than the joke did, and I vaguely wondered about it for the longest time. Finally, one day the class leader took me aside and explained that they have a word in Chinese that sounds very like the English word "teasing." It means "insane" or "crazy." I had to learn to laugh at myself. :P

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update! It gives me a good picture of what is going on in your corner of the world. I hope church this Sunday will be a blessing and an encouragement.
Keep on keeping on!!! AND KEEP WARM!!!
Love,
Lorraine

Anonymous said...

It's funny how many things we take for granted here in the States like cars, buses or other means of warm transportation. And isn't it wonderful how God has prepared you for all that walking! Your past year of exercise has not only made you more healthy, it has prepared you for all that walking!
Thanks for your comments on my blog and yes, I will keep it up. We start south on Wednesday!